Job Title: Buyer
Reports To: Purchasing Manager
FLSA Status: Hourly – Non Exempt
Under the direction of the Purchasing Manager, the Buyer will be responsible for coordinating activities involved with purchasing materials, products, equipment, parts, and supplies. Responsible for resolving vendor-related issues with regard to specifications, timing, quality, quantity, and delivery of vendor products, and establish and maintain mutually beneficial supplier relationships based on sound professional practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Schedule all deliveries per Master Schedule.
- Confer with suppliers to obtain product or service information including price, availability, and delivery schedule.
- Establish values according to market price.
- Determine method of procurement such as direct purchase or bid.
- Maintain procurement records including items or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance and inventories.
- Maintain inventory levels to support JIT manufacturing.
- Maintain purchasing system records.
- Set inventory levels to ensure proper inventory turns.
- Negotiate the return and/or credit for surplus inventory with suppliers.
- Support Purchasing Manager on cost savings projects.
- Evaluate defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection, engineering, parts department, suppliers, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action.
- Expedite delivery of goods and services.
- Adjust scheduled deliveries of goods and services in order to accommodate production changes.
- Communicate with engineering department on bill of material findings and/or concerns.
- Ensure all communications reflect respect for the vendor relationships and conform to company ethics and integrity.
- Work to enhance and improve the company’s relationships with existing and internal sources, and engage with new sources to identify and develop incremental business opportunities.
- Engage in activity with other departments as appropriate to resolve supplier issues, internal logistics issues, accounting issues, etc.
- Maintain purchasing policies and procedures, and follow safety guidelines.
- Efficiently meet deadlines and perform all required duties assigned by Purchasing Manager.
- Support all department team members as required.
- The Buyer is responsible for certain internal control responsibilities. These internal control responsibilities have been verbally communicated to the Buyer and periodic feedback is provided as it relates to performance of internal control responsibilities.
- There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
- Macola software system; Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; and Mainframe systems.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED required
- Associates degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school preferred.
- Two to five years buyer experience with strong negotiating skills, in manufacturing environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. Vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee may lift and/or move up to 20 pounds or ask for assistance if needed from the Warehouse.
This Job Description describes the end results of what Carlson Paving is looking for in this position. The attitudes, actions and activities performed by all personnel are the foundation of our business.
To apply send your resume and application to the following:
Carlson Paving Products
Attn: Human Resources
18425 50th Avenue East
Tacoma, WA 98466
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Confidential Fax: 253-210-5455
Carlson Paving Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer.